Sugar Cookie Tips
- You can chill the dough overnight, if you’d like. Just be sure to let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour before rolling it out.
- To keep the dough from sticking to your work space, rotate the dough 90 degrees on your work space. If the dough is sticking to your rolling pin, sprinkle a little more flour on your dough.
- If the dough becomes too soft as you are re-rolling it, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill until it firms up a bit.
- If you’re using a hand mixer to make the frosting, mix the butter with the vanilla and milk first. Then, add the powdered sugar. This will help to prevent burning out your mixer.
- If you prefer a frosting that is not as sweet, add a pinch of salt.
- Gel food coloring is very concentrated and you only need a small amount when adding it to your frosting. If you’ve never used gel food coloring before, you may want to test it out on a small amount of frosting before coloring the rest of it.
- Use a toothpick to add a small amount of gel color to your frosting. You can always add more to build on the color.